Translate

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Au revoir

      The last time I had something very sad to report was when Dad died in September 2016. That was a sad, surreal time if I recall correctly. Today I have other sad news to report. My Pepère passed away around 2 this morning. He was 92 and one of the greatest grandfathers I have ever known. The other greatest one passed away in 2011.

     Pepère and Memère had five children and 9 grandchildren. This past year they welcomed their second great-grandchild into the family. For years they owned a cabin at Wallace Lake, which is nearly three hours northeast of Winnipeg. I remember endless summer days of swimming, lazing around, and long walks in the evening after supper. Memère turns 91 this February. They would have celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary this year.

     Pepère's brother had a cabin across the road and for years they went back and forth to play cards. I'd like to think Pepère is with his brother and other relatives playing cards right now. And fishing. Endless days on the lake with rod, reel, and minnows. That was where, I'd like to think, Pepère found his bliss.

92 is a long time but now it just doesn't seem like nearly enough.

Au revoir et merci, Pepere. Tu vas me manquer.


1 comment:

Vidkid20 said...

I'm so sorry for your loss! It's definitely hard to lose someone like that. I'm always here for you if you need to talk. Wishing you strength and love during this time. *hugs*