Translate

Monday, August 31, 2009

Kant, solitude, and independence

It has been almost a month since I took possession of my apartment. A month tomorrow, actually, and my thoughts are many. The level of freedom goes beyond what I felt when I got my car. Just knowing I can go hither and yon without checking in with the rest of the family is remarkable. I was a little worried that I would not be able to handle being alone, but it's so far, so good. Of course, my folks don't live too far away, so I've been visiting them every other day for supper and conversation. I'm very fortunate to have such great parents. September is close at hand, and with it come the kids and so many other things. I'm excited to see the school year start.
Meanwhile, I recently read a bio of Immanuel Kant and found myself sorrowful by the end of it. This famous philosopher and essayist did not die young, nor did he die in the prime of his life. Instead, he reached well into old age before passing away. The feeling of loneliness and confusion was palpable. Imagine having to say goodbye to so many friends and then to what Kant must've considered his greatest of friends; his own mind. He fell apart, bit by bit, and rent my heart. His aging and fading away reminded me of Rush's 'Losing it' (from Signals). That song rends my heart as well. Manfred Kuehn wrote a fantastic book, and one I highly recommend.
I started into King Richard III the other day. The longest part of this kind of book is usually the Introduction, and this was no exception. Most would say: "Why bother looking through it?" I like looking through the Introduction as it usually discusses the evolution of the play, the characters, and anything else Shakespearean. I'll keep reading King Richard III and I'll get back to you. BYE.

No comments: