Translate

Friday, May 30, 2008

Imagine no possessions

My exploration into belief and spirituality affirms the point again and again: possessing more than what you need is unnecessary. The Bible says 'it is better to store treasures in Heaven' rather than here on Earth, while the Buddhists see all possession as, like just about everything else in this life, illusion and delusion. Have what you need, not what you want. Bonus if what you want and what you need are the same (but that's irrelevant). Take the books on my shelf, for instance. If, God forbid, a fire swept through and the contents of my room were reduced to ashes, would I feel grief at losing all the books on my shelves? In truth, not for the most part. All these books are possessions, and most of them can be bought over again if the need was great. There are only several books that would cause me some grief to lose, but that grief would be neither great nor enduring, for I can, for the most part, buy them over again.
My sister got me a copy of 'The Flight of Dragons', which I do not think you can buy any more. Losing that book would cause my sister and I some grief, for it's one of the most wonderful and most inspiring books out there. I also have a 'Complete Wordfinder' which is like a second Bible to me - granted, I can get another one just like it - I'm sure Reader's Digest wouldn't begrudge me. And finally, I have a Study Bible (to my shame, I have not yet read) that would be a pain to lose, but I got it from Chapters, and have no problem looking for again.
In truth, with the exception of 'The Flight of Dragons', the books that would cause me the greatest pain to lose would be the ones I can never get back - my beloved diaries. No amount of money would get me back my memories. If I had enough time, I would get at least my most recent diary out before the fire hit. And if I had tons of time, I would grab my laptop and run for it. More stuff I can never replace. However, in the final analysis, you can't take it with you when you go, so everything I'm saying here is moot and ephemeral. That's all.

No comments: